Http and Https are www (word wide web) internet protocol potentially designed for the internet web communication. Both protocols work on application layer (OSI model) and integrated with TCP/IP layer for Data transmission. In this post we will briefly describe the differences between Http and Https.
HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol) is application layer protocol use by WWW (World Wide Web) to fetch and transmit the requests of web-pages. Http is not a secure protocol and send information in plain text format between client application and server. Http use default port 80.HTTP is a TCP/IP based communication protocol, that is used to deliver data (HTML files, image files, query results, etc.) on the World Wide Web.
HTTP – URLs begin with “http://www.techmusa.com.com”
HTTP has been in use by the World-Wide Web since 1990. This specification defines the protocol referred to RFC 2068 .
Characteristics of HTTP –
- HTTP is a client-server protocol and transfer text, audio, video, images and more.
- HTTP use cache, so pages are stored in computer. By making use of HTTP caching, Web sites become faster.
- HTTP is standard TCP/IP based protocol, operates at TCP/IP level.
- HTTP website do not need SSL. Doesn’t use encryption.
- HTTP support all type of browser application.
HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) an advance and secure version of http, provides secure (encrypted) connection between client browser and server communications over the internet.
Https (“S” stands secure) that uses SSL/TLS protocol for encryption and authentication. So, Basically, SSL (socket secure layer) ensures the data transaction between client and server remains encrypted and private. Https use default port 443.
How do you ensure, the website you are browsing is having secure HTTPS connection also having secure connection over the internet? Here is example to ensuring the HTTPS connection.
HTTPS – URLs begin with “https://www.techmusa.com.com”
HTTPS always produce the LOCK 🔒 icon on the browser address bar.
Now, you will notice in the above illustration – HTTP protocol transfer the data between the client browser and the web server in plain hypertext (HTML) format.
Whereas HTTPS used to transfer data in the encrypted format, since HTTPS use SSL certificates in order to provide encryption to data, that’s why Banking and E-commerce websites always having https connection. Even if hackers manage to intercept the communication, they will not be able to use it because the message is encrypted.
Characteristics of HTTPS –
- HTTPS is secure, confident that the data should be stored safely on the Internet.
- HTTPS use SSL Certificates, SSL certificate encrypts all data transmitted via the https protocol.
- HTTPS make secure E-commerce transactions such as online banking.
- HTTPS designed to prevent hackers from accessing critical information.