Cisco Cloud Services Router CSR 1000v
As you may or may not be aware the Cisco Cloud Services Router (CSR) 1000v is now available on Public cloud Platform likes Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS. This is a virtualized version of the world’s most popular enterprise networking platform (ASR 1000, ISR 4000) available solution’s performance and functionality.
The Cisco Cloud Services Router 1000v (CSR 1000v) is a virtual appliance that brings complete WAN gateway and networking services functions into cloud WAN environments. It using familiar Cisco IOS XE Software networking capabilities. Similarly, cloud providers themselves can use it to offer enterprise-class networking services to their multiple customers.Deploy and manage enterprise-class networking services and VPN technologies for the MS-Azure and Amazon AWS cloud.
The Cisco Cloud Services Router (CSR) 1000v is a full-featured Cisco IOS XE router, enabling enterprise-class networking services in the cloud. The following are examples of how the CSR 1000v is being used to enable enterprise-class hybrid clouds.
Extend enterprise VPN architectures into your private cloud: The CSR 1000v supports IPsec, DMVPN, FlexVPN, Easy VPN, and SSLVPN, and configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting with familiar IOS commands. No additional cost on per-tunnel VPN. Interconnect multiple regions and clouds: Using dynamic routing protocols such as EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP for multi-tier architectures within cloud network, and interconnect with corporate locations or other clouds Networking Services.
Cisco CSR 1000v offers comprehensive Secure, inspect, and audit hybrid cloud network traffic: Zone Based Firewall provides an application-aware firewall. IP SLA and Application Visibility and Control (AVC) can discover performance issues, fingerprint application flows, and export detailed flow data.
CSR 1000v Highlights
Enterprise-class VPN in cloud AWS and MS-Azure is faster, cheaper, and more scalable than other VPN solutions. Manage both sides of your VPN for greater security. Cisco familiar IOS-XE based VPN supports the same commands, tools, and logs as Cisco ISR and ASR platforms.
More secure, reliable, and cost effective than native VPN. Feature-rich: IPSec, DMVPN, FlexVPN, GETVPN, EZVPN, SSL VPN, Zone-Based Firewall, and more.Cisco CSR 1000v Scalable from 10Mbps to 2.5 Gbps IPSec performance. More visibility & control into cloud platform with HSRP-like High-Availability, IP SLA, Application Visibility & Control, Performance Monitoring, & Optimization.
Cisco CSR 1000v Features
Cisco IOS XE Software (CSR Edition with selected Cisco IOS XE Software features) the software is available in ISO, BIN, OVA, and QCOW2 formats.
- VMware ESXi 5.5
- Citrix XenServer 6.2
- Red Hat KVM (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.1 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6)
KVM on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Microsoft Hyper-V for Windows Server 2012 R2
- Amazon Machine image on Amazon Web Services
- Hyper-V on Microsoft Azure
- Supported I/O modes
The CSR 1000v supports several modes of communication between virtual network interface cards (vNICs) and the physical hardware:
- PCI pass-through
- Single-root I/O virtualization (SR-IOV)
- Cisco Virtual Machine Fabric Extender (VM-FEX)
- Virtual-machine specifications
Cisco IOS XE Software networking
- Routing: BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, Policy-Based Routing (PBR), IPv6, VRF-Lite, Multicast, LISP, GRE, and Connectionless Network Services (CLNS)
- MPLS: MPLS VPN, VRF, and Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)
- Addressing: DHCP, Domain Name System (DNS), NAT, 802.1Q VLAN, Ethernet Virtual Connection (EVC), and VXLAN
- High availability: HSRP, Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP), and box-to-box high-availability for ZBFW and NAT
- Traffic redirection: AppNav (to Cisco Wide Area Application Services [Cisco WAAS]) and Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP)
- Application visibility, performance monitoring, and control: QoS and AVC
- Hybrid cloud connectivity: OTV, VPLS, and Ethernet over MPLS (EoMPLS)
- NFV: vBNG, vISG, and vRR
Cisco IOS XE Software security
- VPN: IPsec VPN, DMVPN, Easy VPN, FlexVPN, and GetVPN
- Firewall: ZBFW
- Access control: ACL, AAA, RADIUS, and TACACS+
Cisco CSR 1000v Packaging
Note: Regardless of technology pack, 10Mbps and 50Mbps support up to 150 tunnels. Customer need to use 100Mbps or above throughput license to go beyond 150 tunnels.
- Basic networking: BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, Routing Information Protocol (RIP), Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS), IPv6, GRE, VRF-Lite, NTP, QoS, BFD, and CLNS
- Multicast: Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) and Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
- High availability: HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP
- Addressing: 802.1Q VLAN, EVC, NAT, DHCP, and DNS
- Basic security: ACL, AAA, RADIUS, and TACACS+
- Management: Cisco IOS XE CLI, SSH, Flexible NetFlow, SNMP, EEM, and NETCONF
Security – IPBase Plus
- Advanced security: ZBFW, IPsec VPN, Easy VPN, DMVPN, FlexVPN, and GetVPN
- Box-to-box high-availability for ZBFW and NAT
AppX – IPBase Plus
- Advanced networking: Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 (L2TPv3), MPLS, VRF, and VXLAN
- Application experience: WCCPv2, AppXNAV, Network-Based Application Recognition Version 2 (NBAR2), AVC, and IP SLA
- Hybrid cloud connectivity: LISP, OTV, VPLS, and EoMPLS
- Subscriber management: PTA, LNS, and ISG
AX – All features.
Bring Your Own License (BYOL)
Cisco Cloud Services Router (CSR) 1000V – Bring Your Own License (BYOL)
The Bring Your Own License (BYOL) version of IOS XE Cisco Cloud Services Router (CSR1000V) sets the standard for enterprise-class networking services.
BYOL instances of the CSR 1000V allow you to purchase a license from the Cisco channel and install it into the CSR 1000V instance.This means you buy a license from Cisco or a partner and install that license to the CSR 1000V running on Cloud.
Minimum Server Resource Requirements per Cisco CSR 1000v Instance
|10 Mbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB|
|50 Mbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB|
|100 Mbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB|
|250 Mbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB|
|500 Mbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB|
|1 Gbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||1 vCPU/4 GB||2 vCPU/4 GB|
|2.5 Gbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||2 vCPU/4 GB||4 vCPU/4 GB||4 vCPU/4 GB|
|5 Gbps||1 vCPU/4 GB||2 vCPU/4 GB||8 vCPU/4 GB||8 vCPU/4 GB|
|10 Gbps||2 vCPU/4 GB||Not supported||Not supported||Not supported|
Supported Cisco CSR 1000v Amazon EC2 Licenses
|10 Gbps||Not supported||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Supported Cisco CSR 1000v Microsoft Azure Licenses
|5 Gbps||Not supported||Not supported||Not supported||N/A|
|10 Gbps||Not supported||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Ref Links -: