AWS Direct Connect –
Direct connect is an AWS network service is being used to provide dedicated private network connectivity between AWS VPC to customer locations datacenter, Branch office network or colocation environment.
AWS Direct Connect is available at locations around the world and direct connect provider rapidly increasing the location. In general settings, AWS Direct Connect is accessible via a standard cross-connect connection from the Colocation Data Center operated by the provider.
AWS Direct connect is one of option in order to establish a dedicated connectivity from your premise network to AWS VPC cloud.
AWS Direct Connect offer to customer to create a private network connection between customer on premise and Amazon VPC (AWS) to reduce network costs, increase throughput, and deliver a consistent experience.
AWS Direct connect is AWS cloud integrated service available for Cloud customer who wish to build a dedicated private network connectivity from your on-prem infrastructure into AWS cloud.
Dedicated direct connect connection can build over a standard 1 GB or 10 GB Ethernet fiber-optic cable with one end of the cable connected to customer router (On-Prem) and the other to an AWS Direct Connect router.
AWS Direct Connect is a great option for customer and enterprise business those need high throughput, low latency and greater bandwidth for mission critical application. AWS Direct Connect is compatible with all AWS services, including Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), and Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS).
Direct Connect Tech Overview -:
- AWS Direct connect overlay technology that built on top of a physical network.
- AWS Direct Connect is a dedicated private on-premise connection from AWS VPC.
- AWS Direct Connect provides an alternative connectivity solution instead internet connectivity to AWS.
- AWS Direct connect optimize Network performance by 40% higher than public Internet.
- AWS Direct connect provides the capability of 1Gbps and 10Gbps ports speed to customer.
- Direct Connect connection can be established with 1Gbps and 10Gbps ports. Speeds of 50Mbps, 100Mbps, 200Mbps, 300Mbps, 400Mbps, and 500Mbps can be ordered from any APN partners supporting AWS Direct Connect.
- Direct Connect partner (APN) can control bandwidth for the customer as per requirement.
- Direct connect partners built centric facility close to AWS cloud center around the world, and those facility are provisioned with typically wan technology such as MPLS, Lease line etc.
- Direct connect use uses 802.1q VLANs virtualization standard to create multiple virtual interfaces.
- Direct Connect Pay only for what you use. There is no minimum fee.
- AWS Direct Connect easily scale up/down connection bandwidth to meet your business needs.
- AWS Direct connect allow multiple VPCs (same or different regions) to binds them into one direct connect connection.
AWS Direct Connect Q&A
Q. What is AWS Direct Connect?
AWS Direct Connect is a network service that provides a dedicated private network connection to on premise sites to AWS.
Q. Which AWS services can be used with AWS Direct Connect?
AWS Direct connect can integrate all AWS services including EC2 , VPC , S3 storage and Amazon DynamoDB.
Q. How AWS Direct Connect is secure to connect my data center to AWS
- AWS Direct Connect does not have an Internet connection.
- AWS Direct Connect is private and dedicated network connection like as MPLS and Private lease line.
- AWS Direct Connect is Intranet connection for customer on-premises to AWS cloud.
- AWS Customers can also implement additional security layer by encrypting the traffic by using protocols like SSL, HTTPs and SSH.
Q. How can I get started with AWS Direct Connect?
AWS Management Console (Direct Connect tab) to create a new connection.
- Create connection name.
- Select Location – appropriate AWS Direct Connect location.
- Select Port Speed, choose the connection bandwidth.
- Select the region to the region.
- Select the AWS Direct Connect location.
- On-premises, select Connect through an AWS Direct Connect partner
Q. AWS Direct connect technical requirements?
AWS Direct Connect supports 1000BASE-LX or 10GBASE-LR connections over single mode fiber using Ethernet transport. Customer device must support 802.1Q VLANs.
Q. What type of network services AWS Direct connect Partners offer to AWS Customers.
AWS Direct Connect Partners help AWS Customers establish network connectivity between AWS Direct Connect locations and their data-center, office or colocation environment via the following models:
Dedicated Connections – A physical Ethernet connection associated with a single customer with connections speed are 1Gbps or 10Gbps.
Hosted Connections – A physical connection that an AWS Direct Connect Partner provisions on behalf of a customer. Port speed available starting at 50Mbps up to 10Gbps.
Hosted Virtual Interfaces – Virtual Interface assigned to an AWS account. The AWS Direct Connect Partner will provision each Hosted VIF over a network link between the AWS Direct Connect Partner and AWS that is shared by multiple customers.
Q. Why should I connect on-premises network services to AWS using Direct Connect?
AWS Direct Connect is a network service that provides an alternative solution to using the Internet to utilize AWS cloud services. AWS Direct Connect enables customers to have low latency, secure and private connections to AWS for workloads which require higher speed or lower latency than the internet.